Hils
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi All,

Further to my amazing treks to find the gorillas and chimps, I thought it would help those of you who have booked this amazing holiday to give you an idea of what you need to wear/do, as follows:-

1. Decent waterproof hiking boots that have been worn in and are comfortable and have good tread (one girl went in plimsoles and had to be practically carried up and down the mountain!).

2. Long sleeved shirt and long sleeved trousers - the ones I use have insect repellent built in but you still need to put repellent on before you start.

3. Gaiters - these will protect your legs from the vegetation and stop the ants getting in!

4. Gloves (gardening will do). I didn't put these on on the chimp trek and got my hands pierced by numerous thorns. On the gorilla trek we put them on when we went down (if you slip - and you possibly will if it has been raining heavily) they will help, and also keep your hands warm.

5. Decent waterproof rain jacket - cheap ponchos proved useless, disintegrated and proved a problem when trying to take photographs.

6. Plastic bags/dry bags - everything in your rucksack will get soaked.

7. Weatherproof camera if possible, and spare, charged, batteries.

8. I used 2 trekking poles which I found were invaluable, but they will give you a long stick.

9. Sunscreen and insect repellent.

10. Hat that will cover your face and neck.

11. LOTS of water

The porter (and it is really vital that you hire one) will carry your rucksack and anything else that you shed, especially on the way up.

If going to the gym (or if you live in Scotland!) do as much hill walking as possible to strengthen your legs.

Take your time - it's not the getting there first, it's the getting there! They will put the slowest person at the front of the group (you are normally split into groups of 8/9 dependant on fitness and age (!))

Tip your porter well - they only do this once a month, and you could be relying on them for up to 10 hours!

When you reach the gorillas (and you have an 80% chance of this), the ranger who has found them will emit a call. Take as many photographs as you want obviously, but put your camera down at some point and just enjoy their presence (the gorillas, not the ranger!).

Theoretically you are not meant to make eye contact with the gorillas, but you will, and they will!

When you get back down (exhausted but happy) the lodge will clean your boots/gaiters - some charge, some do not.

Take plenty of rehydration salts with you on this trip, as you will sweat buckets - sorry, perspire, for the ladies!

If you have any knee problems (I twisted or pulled muscles/ligaments on the gorilla trek) it might be worth wearing a patella knee strap (you can get them on Amazon).

I hope this hasn't put any of you off, as it really is a "once in a lifetime" experience to see the gorillas - and the chimps. We were all very happy when we got down (and all agreed it was worth it), but won't be doing it again, so enjoy!

If there are any questions, please ask.

Cheers,

Hils

Paul N
(Member)
'Hils' wrote:

Hi All,

Further to my amazing treks to find the gorillas and chimps, I thought it would help those of you who have booked this amazing holiday to give you an idea of what you need to wear/do, as follows:-

1. Decent waterproof hiking boots that have been worn in and are comfortable and have good tread (one girl went in plimsoles and had to be practically carried up and down the mountain!).

2. Long sleeved shirt and long sleeved trousers - the ones I use have insect repellent built in but you still need to put repellent on before you start.

3. Gaiters - these will protect your legs from the vegetation and stop the ants getting in!

4. Gloves (gardening will do). I didn't put these on on the chimp trek and got my hands pierced by numerous thorns. On the gorilla trek we put them on when we went down (if you slip - and you possibly will if it has been raining heavily) they will help, and also keep your hands warm.

5. Decent waterproof rain jacket - cheap ponchos proved useless, disintegrated and proved a problem when trying to take photographs.

8. I used 2 trekking poles which I found were invaluable, but they will give you a long stick.

11. LOTS of water

The porter (and it is really vital that you hire one) will carry your rucksack and anything else that you shed, especially on the way up.

If going to the gym (or if you live in Scotland!) do as much hill walking as possible to strengthen your legs.

Take your time - it's not the getting there first, it's the getting there! They will put the slowest person at the front of the group (you are normally split into groups of 8/9 dependant on fitness and age (!))

Tip your porter well - they only do this once a month, and you could be relying on them for up to 10 hours!

When you reach the gorillas (and you have an 80% chance of this), the ranger who has found them will emit a call. Take as many photographs as you want obviously, but put your camera down at some point and just enjoy their presence (the gorillas, not the ranger!).

Theoretically you are not meant to make eye contact with the gorillas, but you will, and they will!

When you get back down (exhausted but happy) the lodge will clean your boots/gaiters - some charge, some do not.

Take plenty of rehydration salts with you on this trip, as you will sweat buckets - sorry, perspire, for the ladies!

If you have any knee problems (I twisted or pulled muscles/ligaments on the gorilla trek) it might be worth wearing a patella knee strap (you can get them on Amazon).

I hope this hasn't put any of you off, as it really is a "once in a lifetime" experience to see the gorillas - and the chimps. We were all very happy when we got down (and all agreed it was worth it), but won't be doing it again, so enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

Hi Hils

Sounds like an absolutely amazing trip and I'm sure those who have or are intending to book will be grateful for your excellent comments. Unfortunately my fitness level will not allow me to go so I will have to content myself with the reviews of others and I suppose Sir David.

Many thanks Paul

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Paul N' wrote:

'Hils' wrote:

Hi All,

11. LOTS of water

Cheers,

Hils

Hi Hils

Sounds like an absolutely amazing trip and I'm sure those who have or are intending to book will be grateful for your excellent comments. Unfortunately my fitness level will not allow me to go so I will have to content myself with the reviews of others and I suppose Sir David.

Many thanks Paul

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Paul N' wrote:

'Hils' wrote:

Hi All,

11. LOTS of water

Cheers,

Hils

Hi Hils

Many thanks Paul

Thanks Paul! I should have proof-read this a bit better - I'm not sure what "long sleeved trousers" are! It should of course have read "long trousers"! Sorry you can't do this trip, but I'm sure those who do will give good reviews. I unfortunately don't put my photos online (I took 1600!) as they have been "stolen" in the past (which is illegal) and passed off as somebody else's.

Cheers,

Hils

RogerT
(Member)
Hi Hils,

thank you for a fantastic ‘post’.

Very detailed, comprehensive and invaluable advice.

Makes me wonder what I’ve let myself in for !

Good to see you all agreed it was worth all the effort. That seems to be the general feeling having read of others experiences.

Could you elaborate a bit please on the camera protection side. Presumably until you reach the gorillas they are best tucked away somewhere ? Especially if ‘everything .. will get soaked’

Also, how severe is the climb, do you get breathers etc.. ?

Looks like a long list of must haves and things to get. If only Christmas was coming up ....

Roger

Mo R
  • (Member)
(Member)
Brilliant Hills!,

thank you so much for this valuable info!

Mo

Angell
(Member)
Hi Hills,

Thank you for the information.

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'RogerT' wrote:

Hi Hils,

thank you for a fantastic ‘post’.

Very detailed, comprehensive and invaluable advice.

Makes me wonder what I’ve let myself in for !

Good to see you all agreed it was worth all the effort. That seems to be the general feeling having read of others experiences.

Could you elaborate a bit please on the camera protection side. Presumably until you reach the gorillas they are best tucked away somewhere ? Especially if ‘everything .. will get soaked’

Also, how severe is the climb, do you get breathers etc.. ?

Looks like a long list of must haves and things to get. If only Christmas was coming up ....

Roger

Hi Roger,

Glad my "tips" are of use! In terms of camera protection I took "dry bags" with me (I probably got them on Amazon!). Your porter will carry your rucksack with your camera in it - trust me you won't have any time to take photos on the way up! The camera I used was a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ330 with a focal length of 25-600. The reason I bought this camera was a) for the big zoom and b) because it claims to be "weatherproof". All our cameras got wet but I kept the lens hood on mine which I think helped and always had a lens wipe to hand. I'm really pleased with my photos. One of our group was lugging 500mm camera lenses up with him, which I would not recommend! I'm sold on "bridge" cameras now and don't use my DSLR at all.

In terms of severity of the climb - I stopped frequently on the way up - you are climbing at altitude and I am getting on a bit now! There were "official" stops for water, but I huffed and puffed and just had to stop when necessary. As I mentioned, they put the slowest person at the front (I think I was the second!). There is obviously no rush to get up, and until the ranger finds the gorillas you don't know how long you will be climbing so "poly poly" as they say - "slowly, slowly"! The going down was harder as it was constant rain and muddy and slippy. Despite my trekking poles I have a very swollen leg due to twisting and turning. Of our group, even those who don't normally drink definitely had a few when they got down!!

It was an incredible experience and I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Cheers,

Hils

joolsg61
(Member)
'Hils' wrote:

Hi All,

11. LOTS of water

Cheers,

Hils

Thank you for this very comprehensive advice

ItalyLover
(Member)
Great post, thank you for sharing.
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you very much Hils for sharing all these tips. I guess the trek was made harder with all the rain. I am planning to do this trip in 2021 and will most probably do it in June when, hopefully, it would be a bit drier though who can predict the weather nowadays! I am sure I will be the slowest one but will do anything to see a wild gorilla and a chimp.

Regards

Jaya

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Thank you very much Hils for sharing all these tips.  I guess the trek was made harder with all the rain.  I am planning to do this trip in 2021 and will most probably do it in June when, hopefully, it would be a bit drier though who can predict the weather nowadays!  I am sure I will be the slowest one but will do anything to see a wild gorilla and a chimp.

Regards

Jaya

Hi Jaya,

It wasn't just the rain that made this trek very hard. It is seriously uphill (up to 6,000 feet)and the vegetation that you have to go through made it more difficult - along with the altitude.

At least you have 2 years to get yourself fit!

Cheers,

Hils

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi All,

Just to add to my "tips" etc. please do not consider doing the Chimp and Gorilla treks if you have any mobility problems whatsoever - I discovered I had a problem knee after the gorilla trek and had to go to hospital (in the UK) for a scan. Everything is fine, but I wish I had worn some sort of knee support on these treks. It is not a walk in the park - you are climbing through dense vegetation  and over dead trees etc. etc. so you need to be able to move those legs!!

You don't need to take your binoculars by the way (extra weight) on the treks but you will need them for the game drives etc.

A couple of recommended books to read before you go:- "The Impenetrable Forest" by Thor Hanson, and "A Forest in the Clouds" by John Fowler. The latter is set in Rwanda in Dian Fossey's research camp (I couldn't put it down) and a) really explains gorilla behaviour and b) explains what Dian Fossey was really like!

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Hils

Many thanks for the info and being so honest, as I have dodgy knees I may have to reconsider this tour, it's all good and well getting fit for a 10 or 12 hr round trek but if your knees have gone there is little that can be done, they packed up on me in Chile 2 yrs ago and haven't really improved, basically wear n tear am seeing a consultant who doesn't think they're bad enough for surgery yet but when I struggle to get up a dozen or so stairs in work what chance have I of getting up that mountain putting more weight on them

Shall give this some serious thought and await other views before I take the plunge or look at something else

best regards

Dave

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Dave,

I think you are wise to give this trek some serious thought. It is not a cheap holiday, and the Ugandan gorilla trekking permit is due to be increased to $700 next year (that is each!). The chimp trek is on flattish ground, but the undergrowth is challenging! I caught my foot and fell, hitting my head on a tree - but my camera was OK so that was the main thing!

Few people on the gorilla trek actually turn back before they see the gorillas, but as I mentioned, 2 of our tour had to be stretchered down at a cost of $200 (their credit card didn't work in the lodge either!).

I thought my knees were OK as they had improved after I had my hip done, but no! The pressure on them coming down the hill (mountain!) had an adverse effect on them, and I am still in pain nearly 2 weeks after getting back.

I hope the consultant gives you the all-clear, but you really need to be able to climb stairs more easily if you are going to do, and enjoy, this amazing experience.

Cheers,

Hils

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you Hils for all the information. Not sure how fit I am going to be but will have to start the regime. I know walking down does put pressure on your knees. I will seriously think about knee supports. I know there will be other wildlife to see on this trip, but the main reason is the chimps and the gorillas and I rather do this trip sooner than later as am getting old each year! Will have to think seriously though due to the cost as well.

Glad you have been given the all clear re your knees.

Kind regards

Jaya

DawnH
  • (Member)
(Member)
Just watched the Travel Show on BBC News and the presenter did a gorilla trek in Rwanda. Might be worth a watch for anyone considering this tour. I believe the programme is available on BBC iPlayer.

Dawn

Hils
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi,

The Travel Show gave a good indication of what the trek is like, although it was in Rwanda rather than Uganda. To get a really insight into the Uganda trek, I thoroughly recommend having a look at the YouTube video "Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Uganda" and you can see what the vegetation is really like - and that was in good weather!

I really hope that the people who have booked this trip and do not use the Forum (and many do not surprisingly!) will have done their research, and also that JY will give some guidance in their final documents on what clothing etc. to take and the fitness levels required.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

Craig99
(Member)
hi and i just want to say hi and get any advice,

first im going to uganda - gorillas in the mist tour on 19 June 2020, and wondered who else was booked on this tour and hi you want to say hi,

ive been to Kenya with just you and I wondered if this was similar, also the main thing I was thinking about was, when I went to Kenya, I thought a suit case would be too big for the jeeps, so I took a bigger back pack, but then lots of people took suit cases, so it made me think a suit case would have been better, so I just wondered if it be the same with Uganda,

I was thinking, if we are always driving around in a jeep like Kenya, then would there be enough room for suit cases, I don’t want to turn up with a suit case and be the only one and look like an idiot, so has anybody else done this tour before, also are water profs advised if we are in the jungle,

Dina
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Craig

I think it would be very helpful for you to read the previous posts on this thread especially the ones from Hils, as it doesn't look as if you have read them. Hils gives loads of information as she has done this trip albeit with a different company (before it was offered by JY).

This tour will be much,much harder than the JY Kenya trip.

Kind Regards

Di